Sunday, January 16, 2022
Home Health Zuma might be let off the hook due to his medical condition

Zuma might be let off the hook due to his medical condition

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has confirmed that Jacob Zuma’s military doctors have filed a report on his fitness to stand trial.

“I can confirm that Mr Zuma’s legal team has filed a medical report that relates to his state of health,” NPA spokesperson Mthunzi Mhaga said.

“It is a confidential document and we will make no further comments until the matter is heard in court.”

The report was handed in a week after the deadline given by the Pietermaritzburg High Court.

Zuma’s advocate Dali Mpofu previously stated during the previous virtual hearing of Zuma’s corruption case that it would only be after the former president’s doctors had compiled their report on his health that his lawyers would make a decision on whether to seek a longer postponement of his trial.

If such a postponement is sought, Zuma’s doctors – as well as the doctors appointed by the State to examine the former President – will be expected to testify and be cross-examined. 

The former president was hospitalised over two weeks ago while serving a 15-month jail term for defying a Constitutional Court ruling that he appear before the State Capture Inquiry.

The apex court has yet to rule on Zuma’s application for a rescission of that judgment, after asking the parties in the case to make submissions on the implications of international law on its majority decision to jail him. 

The department of correctional services recently confirmed that Zuma “… underwent a surgical procedure on Saturday, 14 August 2021, with other procedures scheduled for the coming days”. As a result, it said, it was “… unable to predict a discharge date as our priority at this stage is for Mr Zuma to be afforded the best care possible. 

“As inmates are placed in correctional centres involuntarily, the State has a total and inescapable responsibility and duty to care for them in a manner that does not violate or compromise their constitutional rights, which include access to health care,” spokesperson Singabakho Nxumalo added. 

–City Press

RELATED ARTICLES

EC govt dumbs COVID-19 heroes who risked their lives to serve others

...but the health workers have taken their fight to Ramaphosa's doorsteps Viwe Rula is...

South Africans cling to christmas cheer as Omicron spreads

Caden Khayo stands outside a bar on Cape Town's Long Street, desperate to make the most of this Christmas after months of...

Trevor Noah sues New York Hospital and surgeon, alleging ‘grievous injuries’ after Surgery

has filed a lawsuit against a New York City hospital and doctor after they allegedly botched a surgery the comedian underwent in...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

International blesser, Serge Cabonge in trouble with the law

Self-proclaimed “international blesser” Serge Cabonge is at loggerheads with the law after he was arrested on Monday for alleged reckless and negligent...

ANC MP wants Ramaphosa hauled before Scopa over ‘misuse’ of state cash

Leaked recording alluding to state funds being used for party campaigns has MP demanding explanation from president An...

Idols SA: Somizi in, Unathi out?

Media personality Unathi Nkayi is unlikely to be part of the upcoming season of popular singing competition Idols SA. 

ANC at the centre of SABC infighting

The ongoing battle between the SABC hierarchy and its news editor in chief, Phathiswa Magopeni, has caused a storm in the public...

Recent Comments

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com