Friday, January 28, 2022
Home Africa Morocco soccer team trapped in Guinea as qualifier postponed amid reports of...

Morocco soccer team trapped in Guinea as qualifier postponed amid reports of attempted coup

Morocco’s national soccer team is trapped in Guinea, where they were set to play a World Cup qualifier on Monday, after an attempted coup took place in the capital Conakry on Sunday.
Soldiers appeared on national TV claiming to have dissolved the government, although the defence ministry said the attempted takeover had been thwarted by the presidential guard.
The fate of Guinea’s President Alpha Condé is unclear after an unverified video showed him surrounded by soldiers, after hours of heavy gunfire near the presidential palace.
Morocco coach Vahid Halilhodzic told L’Equipe in France that he had gunfire ‘nearly all day’ and that some of his players were worried.
The Moroccan team is captained by Wolves defender Roman Saiss and also includes QPR striker Ilias Chair and Watford duo Adam Masina and Imran Louza.
Guinean journalist Cellou Diallo has told BBC Sport Africa that Morocco are awaiting clearance from their embassy to travel to the airport.
The Moroccan federation’s plane is ready to evacuate the players as soon as the embassy can come to a solution with local authorities regarding safe passage of the players to the airport, a Moroccan journalist has told the BBC.
Both global body Fifa and the Confederation of African Football (Caf) have released a joint statement regarding the game.
“The current political and security situation in Guinea is quite volatile and is being closely monitored by Fifa and Caf,” it read.
“To ensure the safety and security of all players and to protect all match officials, Fifa and Caf have decided to postpone the qualifying match.”

– BBC.

RELATED ARTICLES

Burkina Faso crowd celebrates West Africa’s latest coup

President Roch Kabore ousted by soldiers on Monday More than 1,000 people gathered in Burkina Faso's capital Ouagadougou...

We’re not against the employment of Zimbabweans in SA: Malema

EFF leader Julius Malema has appealed to employers to give South Africans preference as the country faces an all-time high youth unemployment...

Flamboyant goblins seller boasts 35 cars, 12 wives and 100 kids

SEKURU Kafura, a flamboyant and habitually well-dressed and a teetotaller who does not take traditional snuff, cruises around in the latest Ford...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Ace Magashule’s sons in clear after SIU probe into R3 million PPE tenders

Ace Magashule's two sons have been cleared of any wrongdoing following an investigation by the SIU into their companies. The R3 million in PPE...

Leaked document lifts lid on impasse between Ipid and Khehla Sitole over Charl Kinnear murder

The Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid) has declined to comment on reports it has registered a criminal case against national police commissioner...

Wife joins Absa R103m theft suspect in the dock

Absa specialist engineer Xolela Masebeni, who allegedly fraudulently transferred R103m into six different bank accounts over four months, will apply for bail...

Public protector confirms receipt of complaint against Cyril Ramaphosa

Public protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane has confirmed receiving a complaint that President Cyril Ramaphosa has allegedly breached the Executive Code of Ethics.

Recent Comments

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com