Sunday, January 16, 2022
Home Politics Health Disciplinary hearing against SABC news boss starts

Disciplinary hearing against SABC news boss starts

The public broadcaster’s legal team told the hearing that Magopeni should take the rap for never apologising to those who were wronged by the court-interdicted Special Assignment show being broadcast.

SABC head of news Phathiswa Magopeni’s disciplinary inquiry kicked off on Friday with the testimony of the public broadcaster’s legal guru, advocate Ntuthuzelo Vanara.

Magopeni is charged with negligence and bringing the SABC into disrepute after the airing of a Special Assignment feature that had been subject to a court interdict.

The public broadcaster’s legal team told the hearing, which sat in Sandton and is chaired by Nazeer Cassim SC, that Magopeni should take the rap for never apologising to those who were wronged by the show being broadcast.

The broadcast took place on October 26, more than a month after a court interdict issued on September 14.

Vanara told the inquiry that it took the intervention of the CEO Madoda Mxakwe for an apology to be made for disregarding the court interdict.

“The apology comes from the group CEO because having explained the consequences of what had transpired, he asked what is the worst case scenario and I explained to him,” said Vanara.

“How then do we mitigate the adverse consequences of this thing, he asked me. Then I said we need to apologise.”

Vanara also told the inquiry how after learning of the breach on October 26, he tried in vain to call Magopeni to alert her, since all content classified as news fell under her responsibility.

This after Vanara had received a call from Werkmans Attorneys to say that its client was livid that the SABC had breached a court interdict.

When he could not get hold of Magopeni, he sent her WhatsApp messages to which she responded but was also in the dark that an interdicted news feature had been aired.

Vanara added that it then took his initiative and that of Mxakwe to clean up the mess.

The inquiry will continue on Monday morning with several other witnesses lined up, despite Cassim’s wish to finish in a day to save public funds.

–TimesLIVE

RELATED ARTICLES

‘He is tweeting from a sick bed’: Julius Malema takes a swipe at Andile Mngxitama over foreign workers

EFF leader Julius Malema on Wednesday took a swipe at BLF leader Andile Mngxitama for calling the red berets flip-floppers over the...

Zweli Mkhize’s presidential ambitions boosted

ANC national executive committee member Zweli Mkhize’s close ally, Babalo Madikizela, has received another endorsement to lead the governing party in the...

De Lille must take blame for the burning of Parliament building: MPs

Seething MPs on Friday called for an independent forensic investigation to determine the cause of the fire that gutted the National Assembly...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

International blesser, Serge Cabonge in trouble with the law

Self-proclaimed “international blesser” Serge Cabonge is at loggerheads with the law after he was arrested on Monday for alleged reckless and negligent...

ANC MP wants Ramaphosa hauled before Scopa over ‘misuse’ of state cash

Leaked recording alluding to state funds being used for party campaigns has MP demanding explanation from president An...

Idols SA: Somizi in, Unathi out?

Media personality Unathi Nkayi is unlikely to be part of the upcoming season of popular singing competition Idols SA. 

ANC at the centre of SABC infighting

The ongoing battle between the SABC hierarchy and its news editor in chief, Phathiswa Magopeni, has caused a storm in the public...

Recent Comments

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com