Sunday, October 24, 2021
Home Politics Health National Arts Council members implicated in mismanagement of R300m funds

National Arts Council members implicated in mismanagement of R300m funds

A forensic investigation has implicated five members of the National Arts Council (NAC) in the mismanagement of the R300m presidential economic stimulus programme (PESP) funds.

The report, which was released by minister of sport, arts and culture Nathi Mthethwa in Pretoria on Monday, also found that there was a violation of the Public Finance Management Act, maladministration and over-committing of funds.ADVERTISING

Mthethwa, however, said there was no evidence pointing to fraud.

The five council members were implicated because they were involved in the adjudication process and were also paid, breaking the NAC council rules.

“Council members’ job is oversight over entities and these ones were involved in operational matters, including adjudication and were paid for that. They violated the NAC Act.  Two of them are still around and three are no longer with the NAC. I have written to them to state their side of the story. I will take a decision based on what they would have said,” Mthethwa said.

The NAC was given R300m to disburse to the arts and creative sector in October last year.

Chairperson of the NAC board Princess Cebelihle Dlamini emphasised that the R285m which was meant to create jobs was not looted but dispersed correctly.

The report also vindicated council members who were appointed in January.

Dlamini said the report found administrative errors attached to the PESP project.

The investigation discovered that the NAC failed to find competent staff for the PESP project.

“It discovered that there was lack of oversight and review processes which led to the non-compliance projects being approved. It shows that the NAC failed to meet timelines and to manage as well as to monitor the process.”

On governance, Dlamini  said the investigation found that section 11 of the NAC Act was contravened and that there was failure to observe council resolutions.

“It shows that there was no effective and appropriate steps to prevent irregularities in the adjudication process, including irregular spending. It discovered failure to provide financial oversight regarding the implementation of PESP which resulted in over committing of which double of the amount was budgeted for.”

Mthethwa said the investigation found nothing sinister about council members who applied for PESP funding.

“The members were appointed after they had already applied,” he said.

RELATED ARTICLES

Equal Education protesters denounce ANC at Ramaphosa’s Khayelitsha rally

Members of lobby group Equal Education on Thursday infiltrated an ANC election rally in Khayelitsha on the Cape Flats, where party president...

SA accuses Zim of ‘killing’ Africa trade through Beitbridge truck delays

HARARE – South Africa has accused Zimbabwe of “killing business” over border delays for haulage trucks at Beitbridge. Queues...

Former USA President Trump to launch his own twitter App to rival Zuckerberg ‘social media apps

Former USA President Donald Trump to launch his own social media app. The ex-US President says he will launch the app TRUTH...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Here’s what the ANC intends to ask its mayoral candidates

Prospective ANC mayors will have to field at least 18 tough questions from a panel of interviewers on why they should be...

Mbeki calls for a painful ANC renewal

Former president Thabo Mbeki was sitting at home one day when he got a missed call from a Cape Town phone number....

Horror man beats wife to coma for denying him s.e.x

Horror man beats wife to coma for denying him s.e.x. While a woman fights for her life in the intensive care unit,...

Zimbabweans criticised for taking SA Govt to court over exemption permits

Some Zimbabwean nationals based in South Africa have criticised their compatriots who recently took that government to...

Recent Comments