Friday, January 28, 2022
Home Politics Health MEC Maile to consult premier Makhura on adverse court rulings on Tshwane...

MEC Maile to consult premier Makhura on adverse court rulings on Tshwane takeover

Gauteng MEC Lebogang Maile says he’s consulting the premier and the executive committee on a way forward regarding his department’s intervention in Tshwane.

Maile was responding to the three judgments handed over by the high court, supreme court and the Constitutional Court on his intervention in Tshwane which saw the municipality being put under administration which the apex court found to have been unlawful.

The court ruled that the Gauteng government’s decision last year to dissolve the City of Tshwane, even though there were “exceptional circumstances”, was still unlawful.

Addressing a press conference in Sandton on Wednesday, Maile said he will be consulting premier David Makhura and the province’s executive committee on the order by the Constitutional Court that he must invoke his powers to conduct a full investigation into the causes of the dysfunctionality in the capital which informed his decision to intervene last year.

He said the province derives “no pleasure in intervening in any municipality” as that on its own is a burden.

“I now have been directed by the ConCourt to investigate… I will take this to exco as I need the view of the premier and other colleagues in exco on how we move forward with regards to this,” Maile said.

He said the team of administrators sent to Tshwane were “technically proficient, qualified and skilled”.

“We would like to categorically refute and dismiss the constant, unfounded attacks on the competence and integrity of the team of administrators deployed in Tshwane for the duration of the intervention,” Maile said.

The high court on Monday ordered Maile to appoint a person or a committee to investigate the cause of the deadlock at the municipal council which made it unable to elect a mayor, pass a budget and vote on the appointment of a city manager, among others.

The Tshwane council, led by the DA, had been unable to convene and was dissolved after months of turbulence and instability, which saw council meetings continuously collapse as a result of councillors from the ANC and the EFF not attending or walking out.

RELATED ARTICLES

Sisulu climbs down as Ramaphosa threatens to crack the whip

...President reads riot act to Minister Sisulu President Cyril Ramaphosa has reprimanded tourism minister Lindiwe Sisulu over her controversial...

Leave me alone, I’m not eying the ANC Deputy Presidency: Mantashe

ANC chairperson Gwede Mantashe believes he is under attack by various forces that are trying to drive a...

Zondo slams ANC over cadre deployment minutes

It is in the public’s interest that they should know how the ANC’s cadre deployment committee influences decisions...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Ace Magashule’s sons in clear after SIU probe into R3 million PPE tenders

Ace Magashule's two sons have been cleared of any wrongdoing following an investigation by the SIU into their companies. The R3 million in PPE...

Leaked document lifts lid on impasse between Ipid and Khehla Sitole over Charl Kinnear murder

The Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid) has declined to comment on reports it has registered a criminal case against national police commissioner...

Wife joins Absa R103m theft suspect in the dock

Absa specialist engineer Xolela Masebeni, who allegedly fraudulently transferred R103m into six different bank accounts over four months, will apply for bail...

Public protector confirms receipt of complaint against Cyril Ramaphosa

Public protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane has confirmed receiving a complaint that President Cyril Ramaphosa has allegedly breached the Executive Code of Ethics.

Recent Comments

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com