Friday, January 28, 2022
Home Technology Facebook down: Zuckerberg apologises for six-hour outage

Facebook down: Zuckerberg apologises for six-hour outage

Facebook’s founder Mark Zuckerberg has apologised for the “disruption” caused after its social media services went down for almost six hours – impacting more than 3.5bn users worldwide.

The billionaire said sorry after an internal technical issue took Facebook, Messenger, Whatsapp and Instagram offline at about 16:00 GMT on Monday.

The scramble to bring it back online eventually succeeded at around 22:00.

But it is likely to increase scrutiny of the social media giant’s reach.

For hours, potentially billions of people found themselves without the social media tools they relied upon to keep in touch with friends and family. Others reportedly found they could not access services which required a Facebook login.

Meanwhile, businesses around the world, which use social media to connect with customers, were faced with the prospect of an unexpected financial hit.

Mr Zuckerberg himself was thought to have lost an estimated $6bn (£4.4bn) from his personal fortune at one point as Facebook shares plummeted, according to the business website Fortune’s tracking software.

Downdetector, which tracks outages, said some 10.6 million problems were reported around the world – the largest number it had ever recorded.

Facebook later said it had been brought offline by a faulty configuration change which not only impacted the websites and apps, but also affected the company’s internal tools.

Those tools included Facebook’s internal email and even employee work passes.

Some reports suggest that Facebook headquarters was in “meltdown”. Even “the people trying to figure out what this problem was” couldn’t access the building, New York Times technology reporter Sheera Frenkel told the BBC.

The New York Times reports that the problem was eventually resolved after a group managed to get into a California data centre and reset the servers. The company has not confirmed this.

Facebook has said it is working to understand what happened so it can “make our infrastructure more resilient”. Tech experts have described the issue as being akin to the social media giant falling off the internet’s map, so it could not be found.

The company said there was “no evidence that user data was compromised”.

The outage comes at a particularly difficult time for the company, which is finding itself increasingly under pressure over its reach and impact on society.

On Sunday, former Facebook employee Frances Haugen told CBS news the company had prioritised “growth over safety”.

On Tuesday she will testify before a Senate subcommittee in a hearing titled “Protecting Kids Online”, about the company’s research into Instagram’s effect on the mental health of young users.

-BBC

RELATED ARTICLES

BMW unveils chameleon car that changes colour at touch of a button

Electronic ink wrap around electric model changes between black and white and even light and dark stripes BMW has...

Miraculous escape for pilot and passenger after their plane comes down in Plett suburb

A pilot and his passenger had a lucky escape when their plane came back to earth in a Plettenberg Bay suburb on...

Zimbabwe villagers still climbing trees, mountains to access cellphone networks

Villagers in Umzingwane District, located just 40km from Zimbabwe’s second-largest city, Bulawayo are still climbing hills and trees in order for them...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Ace Magashule’s sons in clear after SIU probe into R3 million PPE tenders

Ace Magashule's two sons have been cleared of any wrongdoing following an investigation by the SIU into their companies. The R3 million in PPE...

Leaked document lifts lid on impasse between Ipid and Khehla Sitole over Charl Kinnear murder

The Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid) has declined to comment on reports it has registered a criminal case against national police commissioner...

Wife joins Absa R103m theft suspect in the dock

Absa specialist engineer Xolela Masebeni, who allegedly fraudulently transferred R103m into six different bank accounts over four months, will apply for bail...

Public protector confirms receipt of complaint against Cyril Ramaphosa

Public protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane has confirmed receiving a complaint that President Cyril Ramaphosa has allegedly breached the Executive Code of Ethics.

Recent Comments

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com